Dealing with honey fungus
Honey Fungus is one of the most devastating problems you will encounter in the garden.
In simple terms it’s a fungus that grows and consumes dead wood, such as dead branches and particles of wood in the soil plus also, it often starts on dead tree stumps.
When established it goes from attacking Deadwood to attacking live wood on living plants in your garden.
Particularly plants in the prunus species which includes cherry trees and about 80% of the garden. (Shrubs found in your garden)
To control honey fungus in your garden.
The first stage is to remove any dead wood, twigs etc. to make it harder for the honey fungus to get a hold and into the spread in addition remove any toadstools, particularly brown-headed ones as you can see in the photograph above and look for bootlace-type growths that grow under the bark, on dead and living plants.
It’s important that the material you use such as Deadwood from the garden or twigs. etc is disposed of in your household, waste bins and not composting as composting will simply spread the honey fungus to other parts of your garden.
After you’ve removed the dead wood
Apply to the area (treat the garden), a treatment of household bleach.
It will require several applications over three to four months.
Unfortunately, this will kill any of the plants in the area, but it’s your best chance of stopping the honey fungus.
The signs of Honey fungus
The first signs most people see of the honey fungus are the fruiting bodies.
All of the mushrooms which appear as a domed brown from this type of mushroom.
And over a couple of weeks, they extend to a group of flat mushrooms in a tightly compacted clump.