Control of Fairy Rings In Lawns.
Fairy rings are circular patterns of mushrooms that can appear on lawns. They are caused by fungi that break down organic matter in the soil, leaving behind a zone of dead or dying grass. While fairy rings are not harmful to the health of the lawn, they can be unsightly and can be difficult to get rid of. Here are some steps to help control fairy rings on lawns:
- Aerate the soil: Fairy rings tend to develop in lawns that have compacted soil. Aeration can help to loosen the soil and improve drainage, making it less hospitable to the fungi that cause fairy rings.
- Water the lawn: Watering the lawn regularly can help to flush out the soil and prevent the fungi from thriving. Water deeply and infrequently, rather than frequently and shallowly, to encourage deep root growth and prevent the soil from becoming too moist.
- Fertilize the lawn: A healthy lawn can be more resistant to fairy rings. Apply a balanced fertilizer to the lawn, following the manufacturer’s instructions, to help promote healthy grass growth.
- Remove the mushrooms: Remove the mushrooms by hand as soon as they appear. This will help to prevent the spores from spreading and causing new fairy rings.
- Rake the affected area: Rake the affected area to remove any dead grass and debris. This will help to reduce the buildup of organic matter in the soil, which can contribute to the development of fairy rings.
- Apply a fungicide: If the fairy ring is severe, or if other methods have not been effective, you may need to apply a fungicide. Choose a product that is labeled for use on lawns and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
It’s important to note that controlling fairy rings can be difficult, and it may take several seasons to see results. Prevention is key, so be sure to maintain a healthy lawn by following proper mowing, watering, and fertilization practices.